- 1/4 cup moong dal (split yellow gram)
- 1 1/2 cup ridge gourd (torai), peeled and chopped in small pieces
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, freshly chopped
- salt to taste
How to prepare
- Wash the moong dal in water and clean it thoroughly.
- Add 2 cups of water, turmeric powder, moong dal, onion, torai, ginger-green chilli paste in a pressure cooker and cook until 3 whistles and the dal is cooked.
- Prepare tempring in a separate pan. heat some oil and add cumin seeds to crackle. Add asafoetida, red pepper powder and garam masala and fry for 1 minute.
- Pour the tempering on the cooked dal. Add salt and cook for 5-8 minutes on medium flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
Important: You can separately fry some onion and use for garnish with coriander leaves.