A popular goan spicy chicken recipe with a unique taste.
For Making Vindaloo Masala
- 15-20 dried red chillies
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 10-12 pepper corns (kali mirch)
- 2 inch piece of cinnamon (dal chini)
- 1 tbsp coriander (dhaniya) seeds
- 5 cloves (laung)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 3 tbsp red wine/ vinegar
- 10-12 garlic cloves
- 2 inch ginger
For Vindaloo Chicken
- 1 kg chicken
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp red wine/vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- salt to taste
How to Make Vindaloo Masala
- Add Dried red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, pepper corn, cinnamon, cloves, mustard and cardamoms in a blender jar. Blend to make fine powder.
- Add Ginger, garlic, and vinegar/red wine in the blender to make a smooth paste.
How to Marinate for Chicken Vindaloo
- Take the clean and dried chicken pieces in a deep bowl and add the already prepared vindaloo masala.
- Mix the pieces well with masala so that masala is coated well on all pieces.
- Marinate and keep the chicken in refrigerator for at least 6 to 8 hours
How to Make Spicy Chicken Vindaloo
- Heat some oil in a deep pan and add chopped onions. Saute them till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for another 4-5 minutes till tomatoes are soft and tender.
- Put marinated chicken pieces in the pan and add 1 tbsp red wine/vinegar and sugar. Add 1 cup hot water and mix well to make the gravy.
- Cover and cook on a high flame till chicken is cooked and becomes soft and white. Check the consistency of the gravy as per your requirement.
- Lower the flame and simmer for few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Important: Try to make the Vindaloo masala with all spices for the most authentic taste.