- 1/2 cup Chana Dal
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tbsp ghee/oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 pinches asafoetida (hing)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tomato chopped or pureed
- 1 red chilli
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
How to prepare
- Wash the chana dal in running water till water runs clear. Once the dal is clean, keep it soaked for 2 to 3 hours.
- Cook the soaked dal in a pressure cooker on medium heat for 3 to 5 whistles so that dal gets soft and can be mashed.Release the pressure and open the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Heat some oil or ghee in a pan on medium heat. Add cumin seeds and red chilli and let then splutter.
- Add asafoetida, green chillies and onions and saute till onions turn transparent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt. Saute on medium heat till tomatoes are soft.Now add garam masala and red chilli powder.
- Add chana dal and some water and mix well. Cook until there are bubbles in the dal. You can adjust the consistency of dal as per your liking.
- Add fenugreek seeds and mix well.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Important: This is a high fiber and low carb recipe of chana dal