- 1 tsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp oil
For Making Sambhar Masala Paste
- 4 whole dry red chillies
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp toor dal
- 1 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- 1 tbsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 tbsp coriander(dhaniya) seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
For making Sambhar
- 1 cup Toor Dal (Arhar dal)
- 1 potato, cubed
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 drum stick (cut into 2″ pieces)
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium brinjals, cubed
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- salt to taste
How to prepare Sambhar Masala Paste
- Put a pan on medium flame and roast all the ingredients together for 5-6 minutes.
- Allow it to cool and then make a fine paste in a blender. Add few drops of water if required.
How to prepare Sambhar
- Clean the toor dal under flowing water till its is clear. Now add 2 cups of water in pressure cooker and cook dal, onion, brinjal, drum sticks and potato up to 3 to 4 whistles.
- Add about 3-4 cups of water,tomato, tamarind pulp, sambhar masala paste and salt in the pressure cook and bring to a boil.
- Prepare the tempering separately in pan. heat some oil and add mustard seeds. When the seeds began to crackle, add curry leave and asafoetida and mix well.
- When the sambhar begins to boil, lower the flame and add the tempering to the sambhar and cook for about 10 minutes on low flame.
- Delicious sambhar is ready to be served hot.
Important: You can vegetables like cauliflower (gobhi), Bottle gourd (lauki) etc in sambhar according to your liking.