- 2 cups spinach (palak) chopped
- 1/2 cup Toor dal (arhar)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 bayleaves (tej patta)
- 2 cloves (laung)
- 2 dry kashmiri red chilli
- 1 tsp green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- salt to tste
How to prepare
- Keep toor dal soaked for about 3 hours. Drain water and keep the dal aside.
- Add toor dal, spinach, ginger paste, green chilli, turmeric powder and salt in a pressure cook. Put 3 cups of water and cook for 2 whistles.
- When the steam escapes, open the lid and add the dal in a hand blender to make a coarse mixture. Keep it aside for some time.
- Prepare the tempering by adding oil in a pan heated on medium flame with cumin seeds, bay leaves, cloves, red chilli and asafoetida and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the tempering to the cooked dal. Add chilli powder, mix and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes. Stir the mixture in between.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Important: Do not over-blend the dal. Keep the consistency as per requirement.