- 1 cup Toor (arhar) dal
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli
- 1 dry kashmiri red chilli
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- a pinch of asafoetida(hing)
- salt to taste
How to prepare
- Add 1 1/2 cup of water in pressure cooker. Add toor dal and turmeric powder and cook till the dal is cooked for about 3 whistles. Mix the dal in cooker well and keep aside.
- Heat some oil in the pan and add cumin seeds and let them crackle. Now add ginger, garlic, green chilli and red chilli and cook on medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, asafoetida, garam masala, chilli powder and cook for 2 minutes on medium flame and stirring the mix occasionally. Add few drops of water if required.
- Add fenugreek leaves and cook for another 2 minutes. Keep mixing and stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of water, salt and cooked dal in the pan and mix well. Cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Important: This healthy low calorie recipe is good for diabetic patients too.