- 1/2 cup Whole Urad dal (whole black lentil)
- 2-3 tbsp Rajma (kidney beans)
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander (dhaniya) powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3/4 cup tomato pulp or puree
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- salt to taste
- Clean whole urad and rajma with water and soak them overnight. Drain and keep aside.
How to prepare
- Add 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and add Urad and rajma is cook for about 6 to 7 whistles. Whisk then well till urad and rajma are mashed properly. Add milk and mix them well and keep aside.
- Heat some oil in the pan on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- When the seeds start to crackle, add onions, ginger-garlic paste and cook for 1 minute till the onions are soft and brown.
- Add coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix them well and keep stirring the mix.Add some drops of water if required.
- Add tomato pulp/puree and mix well cooking on the medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the prepared mix of urad-rajma with milk in the pan. Add some salt, mix well and cook for about 10-12 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
Important: It is good to soak dal overnight as it would take less time to cook.