- 1/2 cup chana dal (split bengal gram), washed and drained
- 3/4 cup spinach puree
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek seeds (kasuri methi)
- 1 tsp green chilli finely chopped
- 3/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- salt to taste
How to prepare
- Add 1 1/2 cup of water and chana dal in a pressure cook and cook until 4 whistles till the chana dal is cooked. Open the lid and drain the water and keep dal aside.
- Heat some oil in the pan and cumin seeds and let them crackle. Now add asafoetida, dried fenugreek leaves,green chilli, onion, ginger-garlic paste and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add coriander powder, garam masala and salt, mix well and cook for 1 minute and keep stirring the mix.
- Add 1//2 water, milk and spinach puree, mix and stir well and cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add the cooked dal in the pan, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Dal is ready to be served hot.
Important: Make the spinach puree in a blender as it gives a unique texture to dal.