Delicious and spicy chicken biryani for beginners that can be cooked easily.
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 4 tbsp plain yogurt (dahi)
- 1-1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tbsp oil/ghee
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1/4 cup yogurt (dahi)
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 cups water /coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp friend onions (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 5 cloves (laung)
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon (dal chini)
How to prepare
- Add curd, ginger-garlic paste, salt, biryani masala, turmeric and chilli powder in a bowl and mix well to for a paste. Adjust the spices as required.
- Make gashes on chicken pieces and add it to marinade. See that the pieces are covered properly. Keep the pieces aside for 1 hour.
- Rinse rice well with water and keep it soaked for 30 minutes. Drain water after 30 minutes.
How to Make Chicken Biryani
- Add oil or ghee in a cooker and heat on a low flame.
- When the oil is hot, add whole spices like bay leaf, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and saute for 1 minute.
- Add onions and cook until onions turn soft and light brown.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and saute for 5 minutes.
- Cover the cooker and cook on a low flame till chicken is cooked but still tender and soft.
- Open the lid, add yogurt, mint leaves, green chilli, red chilli powder and garam masala and mix well.
How to make Layers in Chicken Biryani
- Layer the chicken pieces evenly at the bottom and then spread a layer of rice over it.
- Add 3 cups of water of coconut milk in a bowl and add 1/2 tsp salt and mix well.
- Pour most of the water across the sides of the cooker and some on the top of the rice. Level the rice if needed. Put some mint and friend onions.
- Cover the lid of the cooker and cook for high flame for 1-2 whistles so that rice is cooked properly.
- Put off the flame and let the pressure settle. Open the lid and fluff the biryani.
- Serve hot from top to bottom to have rice and chicken in all servings.
Important: You can garnish the biryani with pieces of boiled eggs.