One of the best known biryani with basmati recipe and chicken that tastes great.
- 1-1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 cup yogurt (dahi)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp biryani masala powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp green cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1/2 kg Chicken
- 1/2 tsp biryani masala
- 1/2 cup onion (thinly sliced and fried)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mint leaves, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1/8 tsp saffron strands
For cooking rice
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 pieces of cinnamon – 1 inch long
- 5 cloves
- 4 green cardamom (elaichi)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 black cardamom
How to prepare
Steps to Marinate chicken for Hyderabadi chicken biryani
- Take a deep bowl and add yogurt, salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, and biryani masala, ginger-garlic paste, green chillies and lemon juice. Mix these well and form a paste. Adjust the spices as per requirement.
- Add chicken pieces to the bowl and mix well so that the paste is coated on all pieces evenly. Keep the marinated pieces for more than 2 hours in fridge.
How To Cook Rice for Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
- Wash rice with water for a few times until clear. Keep them soaked in water for half an hour. Drain water and keep rice aside.
- Pour 6 cups of water in a pot and heat. Add 1 tsp oil and whole spices and salt. Bring the water to boil.
- Add rice and cook till they are almost, but not fully cooked. You can check by breaking some rice grains that they are mushy. Keep these half cooked rice in a colander.
How to Cook Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
- Take a non-stick pan and add the marinated chicken pieces in it. Add some oil, some fried onions, mint and coriander leaves.
- Mix these well and spread chicken pieces in an even layer.
- Now spread the rice evenly in a layer over chicken pieces and sprinkle friend onions, mint and coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle biryani masala and saffron and then pour some oil or ghee over the rice.
- Cover the pan with a tight lid and heat on a high flame. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the flame and cook for 10-12 minutes only. Turn off the flame and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and server with Raita.
Important: To get the authentic flavor, try to use all the spices mentioned in the recipe.