Most popular chicken recipe from chettinad cuisine.
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1/2 cup tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- salt to taste
To Make Chettinad Masala
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 1 tbsp coriander (dhaniya) seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp pepper corn (kali mich)
- 5 dry red chillies
- 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 5 cloves (laung)
- 1 cinnamon stick 1 inch long
How to Prepare for Chicken Chettinad Recipe
- Take a deep bowl and add yogurt, turmeric powder, salt, ginger-garlic paste and mix well to make a paste. Add chicken pieces and mix well so that the paste is well coated on chicken pieces. Marinate and keep aside for few hours.
- Heat a pan on low flame and add coriander seeds and red chillies. Add cardamom, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, pepper, cinnamon, cloves and dry roast for few minutes till a good aroma starts coming. Add poppy seed and toss all spices. Keep these in a plate aside for some time to cool
- Add coconut in a pan and fry for few minutes until you can smell it. Keep aside to cool.
- Add the roasted spices and fried coconut in a grinder jar. Pour some water and blend to make a smooth paste.Keep aside in a bowl.
How to Make Chicken Chettinad
- Heat some oil in a pan on low flame. Add bay leaf and chopped onions. Fry till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add marinated chicken pieces to the pan and fry to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, turmeric, salt, red chilli powder and mix well. Fry till the oil is separated.
- Add the chettinad masala paste and curry leaves in the pan. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup hot water to make gravy in the pan. Cover and cook till the chicken in fully cooked and becomes soft. Keep the consistency of the gravy as per requirement.
- Garnish with fried curry leaves and serve hot.
Important: The ground spices are an important part of the flavor of this recipe.