Unique low calorie dal recipe that tasts best with Roti and rice.
- 3/4 cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1/2 cup cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
How to prepare
- Wash chana dal with water and soak it for about 1 hour. Drain the water and keep the dal aside.
- Add 2 cups of water and soaked dal in a pressure cooker and cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat the oil on medium flame in a pan and add cumin seeds. When the seeds begin to crackle add cooked dal, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt and cucumber pieces and cook for 10-15 minutes on low flame. Let the cucumber get tender and crisp.
- Add some water if the dal seems thick.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Important: You can add some water to adjust the consistency of the dal as required.