Most popular chicken dish all over the world with a lip smacking taste.
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 cup thick yogurt
For Butter Chicken
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 cinnamon pieces – 1 inch each
- 2 green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 2 cloves (laung)
- 2 green chillies
- 2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 15 cashew nuts
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 3/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 1/4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup chilled cream
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- Keep the chicken pieces in a deep bowl. Add lemon juice, chilli powder, salt, and ginger garlic paste, yogurt, and turmeric powder. Mix them well and cove the chicken pieces with the paste. Cover and freeze for about 12 hours to 16 hours.
- Put the tomatoes and cashews in a blender to make a smooth puree. The puree should be very smooth for a great texture. If not smooth, filter it with a sieve.
- Take some oil/butter in a pan and put the marinated pieces in it. Cover and heat on medium flame. Flip the pieces to cook on both sides until they are cooked and all the moisture evaporates. Keep the cooked pieces aside.
How To Cook Butter Chicken (Murg Makhni)
- Put some oil in the pan and add cinnamon, cloves,and cardamoms. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chillies and saute for 1 more minute
- Add tomato-cashew puree, red chilli powder, sugar and salt. Cook until the puree becomes thick.
- Add water in the pan for the desired consistency of the curry. Mix well and bring to boil.
- Add cooked chicken pieces and cook on low flame for 5-7 minutes till it becomes soft.
- Add garam masala and dried fenugreek leaves. Mix well and cook on flow flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour chilled cream and put off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Important: Remember to marinate upto 16 hours if using a large sized chicken.