A unique chicken recipe with the taste of Indian Pickle
For Achari Masala
- 5 Dry Red chillies
- 2 tbsp Coriander (dhaniya) seeds
- 1/4 tbsp Yellow mustard (sarson)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds (saunf)
For Achari Chicken
- 1/2 Kg chicken
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp onion seeds (kalonji)
- 1/8 tsp mustard
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 cup yogurt (dahi)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp pickle (any one of your choice – optional)
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- salt to taste
How to prepare
Steps to Prepare Achari Masala (if not using any ready pickle masala)
- Mix the red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds in a grinder jar. Grind to make fine powder.
How To Cook Achari Chicken Curry
- Heat some mustard oil in a pan on high flame until its is smoking hot. Add mustard seeds and onion seeds and let them crackle.
- Add onions and saute till they turn light brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute again.
- Reduce the flame to medium low and add the achari spice powder (already prepared). Mix well and saute till its aroma comes out. Do not over fry.
- Add tomatoes and saute for make a thick masala. Add some water to cook onions if needs. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and sugar. Mix well and saute for 3-4 minutes on low flame.
- Add half of yogurt to the masala in the pan and mix it well. Cook for 3-4 minutes so that masala does not stick to pan.
- Add Chicken pieces and saute for 5 minutes on low flame. When the chicken pieces turn a little white, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Keep stirring in between so that masala seeps inside chicken pieces.
- Check if the consistency of the curry is as per your requirement. If you do not like thick curry, you can add some hot water to it.
- Cover the lid and cook until the chicken is cooked. Mix the achar masala (if not using the spices to make achar masala )and mix well. Adjust the salt and sugar if required.
- Put off the flame and keep the pan covered for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Important: You can leave sugar if you do not want the sweet taste.